Pages

1.07.2011

guest post: bloggers pillow party

My mom is not a blogger, but an avid blog follower... and an exceptional seamstress, so when she saw the Pillow Party at Stitched in Color I was happy to let her use our blog to participate. Who knows, maybe she'll get hooked and start her own :) Following is her entry:

My new pillow creation began with the marriage of our youngest daughter. You may be wondering, how did a pillow tie to a wedding (other than the ones carried down the aisle with rings on them)!? In this case though our daughter's bedroom here at our house had two twin beds with fairly new matelasse spreads (purchased) and dustruffles that I had made. We replaced the twin beds with a double bed of her grandmothers. I cut one twin spread in half and added pieces to the sides of the other twin spread to turn it into a double bedspread. I also adjusted the dustruffles. I had some solid pink fabric from one of the bedspread left over and this is what I used as the basis for my pillow. I would describe my pillow as a sampler of embroidery stitches. I had recently bought an embroidery book by Judith Baker Montano, Elegant Stitches, that I was anxious to try. The straight lines of the matelasse were perfect to use as guidlines for my stitches. My pillow has eight rows of different combinations of stitches, includng french knot, lazy daisy, pyramid buttonhole, chevron, scroll stitch, herringbone and featherstitch. This pillow now lives on the bed in my daughter and son-in-law's room.
by Susan Moore
Please visit Stitched In Color's Blogger Pillow Party to see more beautiful pillows!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

good job Mom! :)

Amanda Caldwell said...

very impressed!