Pages

10.03.2009

What do you stand for?

1. How do I define my role as a leader?

I define my role of a leader as a person who has the best interest of the organization and people with whom I work to be a top priority in every decision I make. I enjoy listening to the people with whom I work so that the team can make decisions for the common good of all people. As you saw from one of my post before I would argue I am a relational leader who thrives on having human contact. I am ardent in making sure I provide an opportunity for every person to have input so that buy-in to departmental goals are a shared task by all people in the organization.

2. What inspires the best in staff?

A leader who will get into the trenches. A leader who will walk the talk. A leader that gives credit to those people with whom they work is another key characteristic I believe inspires staff. Confidence is another characteristic that is needed to help inspire a group of people. Finally, I believe relationship building inspires the best staff because then the staff know something about each other and the environment created is one of trust (when done correctly).

3. What are my strengths?

Harmony--I like for everyone to get along and try to find common ground between all people I work with.

Responsibility--I tell people that I am going to do something and I do it. No if ands or buts.

Includer--I try to make sure I get everyone involved in what I am doing. I try to create opportunities to utilize everyone.

Developer--Small steps of growth in myself and others are accomplishments for me. This is what I try to do on a daily basis.

Belief--If i do not believe it I will not say it or do it.

1 comment:

Ed De Iulio said...

Wylie –
Great approach to leadership role. I also believe in involvement or buy-in. It’s a great approach when time permits. The trench approach is also a good one -- Leadership by setting the example. I also note this approach sometimes needs to be tempered with caution. Sometimes the followers believe the leader doesn’t trust them if the leader is always around. I personally like this approach. Another pit fall in using this approach is the leader can get to close to their people. This can cause the leader some difficulty if disciplinary action is necessary. Good strengths.
Ed