Pages

10.14.2009

Leadership Styles

This post is a little late this week because Emily and I have been in Williamsburg at a conference.

This week I am going to discuss several different styles of leadership.

1. Coercive--the leader demands compliance.
2. Authoritative--the leader moblizes people toward a vision.
3. Afflitative--the leader creates harmony and builds emotional bonds.
4. Democratic--the leader forges consensus through participation.
5. Pacesetting--the leader sets high standards for performance.
6. Coaching--the leader develops people for the future.

These styles and defintions were taken from the book we are using for class Educational Leadership the 2nd edition from the chapter called Understanding Change by Fullan.

I would use each one of these depending on the situation in which I am given. I use afflitative and coaching the most. These are natrual talents or strengths which I try to work on every day. I try to use both of these to build trust when I am talking with students and colleages. I also think it is important to remember with coaching even baby steps in the learning process are critical. I would be coercive if I just need people to get a small task done such as turning in one paperwork form. I do believe if you are coercive all the time this will hurt the change process. Authoritative is important when trying to get an organization on board with the future plan or vision. I would like to be more of a pacesetter in that I believe this style can produce results at a higher level because it pushes people past what they think they are capable of accomplishing.

I believe each one of these can help or hurt an organization depending on how it is perceived by those with who I work. Coercive and Authoritiative tend to be negative in my mind because most of the time when I use them it is me trying to use force or power to get people to do their jobs. The other for I believe lead to an environment of trust and respect where communication and results blend well together.

5 comments:

Ahnna Gibson said...

Your perspective on these leadership styles are interesting. I particularly thought your take on pacesetting and authoritative styles were interesting becuase they seemed different than the author's perspective. I agree with you that a style's effectiveness depends on the situation and people involved.

Jessica Pelfrey said...

I think it's awesome that you are able to pinpoint which of the leaderships styles you portray most...I think that's a hard thing for a lot of people.

Seth Young said...

You are definitely correct in your assessment that the leadership style needed depends on the situation and the context the leadership style is being used. Nice post...I think we agree on most points.

Seth Young said...

You are definitely correct in you assessment that the leadership style needed depends on the situation. Nice post...we seem to agree on most points.

Seth Young said...

You are definitely correct in your assessment that the leadership style needed depends on the context of the situation. Nice post...we tend to agree on most points.