Pages

10.23.2009

Eight Roles of Symobolic Leaders

It is important for administrators, faculty, and students to understand the symobolic nature of leadership so that we can make sure what is being said or done matches the perceptions. Reviewing the different roles opened my eyes to make me think about my actions and words and how others might perceive me in my role as an Area Coordinator. The eight roles include: historian, Anthropological sleuth, visionary, symbol, potter, poet, actor, and healer (Barth, 2001).

In reflecting upon my actions as a leader, my perception of myself is I am probably a potter, visionary, and symbol. As an AC I really try to help form the department to focus on the mission and goals of the department. All that I do I try to give purpose for me personally as well as for the organization as a whole. It amazes me how sometimes I see my directing or forming is guided by the unwritten policies of the department. The doing is different than the words written down.

The pieces are falling into place of the understanding that the way an office is arranged, words written in a mission statement, or even a holiday party can say something without meaning what is said by the event. This is a crucial point to understand as leaders on a college campus because the difference between helping and maybe hurting someone could be something symbolic.

4 comments:

Ed De Iulio said...

Wylie –
Interesting reflection. You see yourself as a potter, visionary, and symbol. I wonder, as a leader don’t you have to be all? Can you select the roles you “play?” As I looked at these roles I almost believe you have to be all to be successful. My sense is you are all eight by virtue of being in a leadership position. My sense is you are performing all eight roles, maybe the three you mentioned you are consciously doing or paying more attention to. Have to think about that some more.
Ed

TheGawdFather said...

Wylie,

I was intrigued by the paragraph about the way an office is set up. I have "heard" about feelings being hurt when the "guilty party" had no idea they hurt them.

Matt

Seth Young said...

From what I know about you, I would definitely see you as a potter, visionary and symbol. But like Ed says, you have to be all 8. I can't imagine you know being a great poet and healer because of your care for the people around you. I also see you being the historian because you are not the type to jump in and takeover without learning as much as possible about the people and organization around you.

That being said...I like your reflection about yourself as usual. You are too humble...you do fill each of the roles, but your humility keeps you from recognizing your leadership abilities.

Regina Gibbons said...

Ed, You make a good point about unwritten policies present in organizations. I think a lot of the hidden policies lie within an organization's culture. Knowing the reasons behind actions can be more informative than examining the actions themselves. Your comments affirm the importance of not being too hasty as a leader in implementing change without having first learning about both written and any hidden company policies.