Pages

7.31.2011

Dear Lydda Grace

Dear Lydda Grace,

Today you are three years old. You are old enough now to anticipate your birthday and have been looking forward to turning three for quite a while now. Your anticipation and excitement makes it much more fun for me to look forward to as well. Though I feel a little twinge of sadness as I realize how quickly you're growing up, I am also realizing how much I enjoy seeing you learn new things, grasp new concepts, express your ideas, rejoice in your accomplishments and just in general the sweet ways your are changing as you grow up.

So, what are you like as a three year old? You are curious about everything and ask lots of questions which lead to more questions and then more questions! You are very active and love to jump and run and dance. Reading is still one of your favorite things to do, if I ever suggest for you to sit in bed and look at books you always happily agree. You also really get into art projects. I can give you scissors, a glue stick and some paper and you will sit for a very long time cutting and gluing, only stopping long enough to ask for a new sheet of paper! You love your sweet friends and getting together to play with them.

We've found that you are extremely observant! You are always listening to whatever conversation is going on around you and will pop in with questions. You also pay attention when we try to spell words so you don't know what we're talking about, but you usually ask, "What did you spell?" our, more often than not, you figure the secret out from context! Whenever we are driving in the car you say, "This is the way to....." and if we make a turn that is different than you expect you tell us it's not the right way!

Lydda Grace, I think your laughter is one of my most favorite things about you! Once you get going you really laugh and it always makes Wade laugh too. I love that you find things to be silly now or think of things on your own that are funny and then tell me.

I must confess, just so you know when you read this, that everything isn't all roses all the time. We are really starting to see you trying to assert your own will. For example, the other day I opened the door to the bathroom for you and you had a melt down because it was something you wanted to do on your own. You always seem to get upset about stuff like this that has already happened and can't be changed and no amount of convincing you that you can "open the door next time" seems to calm you down. I am realizing that you want to be more independent so I'm trying hard now to stand back and let you do the things I know you can do and to give you choices in some areas as well.

Oh baby girl, I am so sad to say that this desire for control and battle with your self-will is a battle you'll be fighting all of your life. My prayer for you is that you will grow to learn that God-will works infinitely better than self-will and that the control you long for leads only to ruin. Just lay down your weapons Lydda Grace, step back from the battle... Jesus has already won it for you!

As I think about this past year of your life I am so overwhelmed and blessed that I get to be your Miss Mama, that I get to spend each day with you (melt downs and all!), that I get to snuggle with you as we read together, hear the workings of you little mind as you sort through all that you are taking in and learning. that I have the privilege of seeing you interact with Wade as you laugh and play with (and sometimes aggravate) each other, that I get to rejoice with you when Daddy-doo comes home each evening, that I get to tuck you into bed, pray and sing with you each night..... how am I so blessed?

I love you to bunches and pieces Miss Lydda Grace.

Love,
Miss Mama