Pages

9.25.2009

Trustworthy Leadership Matrix

The questions I would like to address this week are: functions of leadership, facets of trust, constituents of school. I wonder how these three elements interact to impact change in schools. How could you design a study using these three components?

I would argue change would start when the constituents of the institution realize they can impact the environment around them through the facets of trust as well as functions of leadership. As I talked with Dr. Knoeppel today, I continue to realize I have no clue what I am doing when it comes to design. So I love this question because the answer I am about to give could be totally wrong.

For the environment I am in I would want to know how Benevolence, honesty, Openness, realiability, and competence are related to the visioning, modeling, coaching, managing, and mediating by all the consitutents. As you can see this study would probably takes years and years.

So I would want to know how administrators impact change through vision and modeling and measuring whether benevolence, honesty, and competence play a factor in this change. I would ask questions to students, parents, and administrators to gain insight into these trust facets to see how they impact the change on a campus.

I would argue the more of the trust factors one utilizes in all areas of leadership with all 5 constituents will lead to an environment where change is perceived as positive and beneficial to the community and university. Who ever is responsible at the top for the leadership will have the most impact to set the tone for the university.

Now I know I answered these questions backwards but I hope this gives you insight into how I would use the Trustworthy Leadership matrix.

2 comments:

Dena Kniess said...

Wylie-

You're right, these are all important dynamics to consider when you're looking at trust in relationships. I do agree with you that the person who is the leader in the organization is key to role modeling trustworthy behavior. I keep wondering, though, how other individuals in the organization, whether they're in a formal position of leadership, help define trust as well and credibility? It is all very interesting to consider.

Seth said...

Wylie--I am just like you when it comes to design. It's actually something that kind of intimidates me. From what I know, you just have to have a good solid idea of what you want to study and try to do whatever is necessary to collect data that fits your study. I think your setup would work very nicely.