Pages

11.20.2009

What is the hardest thing at your job?

Well, I am excited to reflect this week as I read the reading. I say this because of two reasons. One, in chapter 23, the discussion of standards. And two, in chapter 24, building colleagues is complicated.

As I was reading about the different places standards are placed and the different accrediations for students to pass or to accomplish before they become teachers is important. At this point I would like to acknowledge there are down falls to this. However, one thing I noticed through all the standards is the focus on the good of others. Ultimately, the recognition that standards are need to help others is a deep concept. The hard part is deciding upon the standards which at the end of the day do help others. Understanding the knowledge, skills, and abilities need to be a good principal or leader is important but more importantly is understanding how to apply these on a daily basis.

This is what leads me to my question of what is the hardest part about your job? My answer is in agreement with Lieberman, Saxl, and Miles (2007) building colleagues is a complicated process. I am struggling with this at work with the colleagues I work with. So the suggestions given are good ones. The list of building trust & rapport, organizational diagonsis, dealing with the process, using resources, managing the work, and building skill and confidence in others is critical. The two I had not thought about before have given me a new insight at how to understand the organizational environment I am in. Understanding the culture and then being able to diagnois the action needed can be a critical component. It is about working with others to help with change.

This leads us to the second component I am continuely to reflect upon is the change process. This is dealing with conflict and mediation. Something I am realizing I am not good at because I do not like to cause tensions in relationships. The key is collaborative environments need to be created. By doing this then buy-in can be created with the people with whom you work.

I would love more thoughts about building relationships with colleagues.

Grace and peace,
Wyli

3 comments:

Ed De Iulio said...

Wylie –
Building relationships … I bet there is a lot of research about this topic. I can comment based on my experiences. When a person arrives at a new job/location this is job one. I found the “new guy” was first met with skepticism about their intent. What does the person really stand for? What will it be like working with? What is their agenda, hidden or otherwise? As you work with people they begin to understand where you come from and you begin to build trust – in my mind the most important aspect of building relationships. Trust is very fragile in that if you ever betray trust you may never get it back. Nothing new here.
Ed

Jessica Pelfrey said...

I am 100% with you on the not wanting to cause tension in relationships comment. I think that is a huge problem for a lot of people...maybe moreso for us touchy-feely student affairs people. However, I think that if you don't throw a ripple in the pond every now and then, everything will just stay the same. And...isn't education all about growth?!?!?

Daniel Bennett said...

Wylie-

Great insights. . . building relationships is very difficult and I think a key ingredient is time. There are all kinds of formulas and yet at one point Ch. 23 admits that the only way to tailor principal training programs is through collaborating with all constituents involved and this requires time. Contingent upon the circumstance, relationship development may call for more or less time, but it is one of the most valuable resources we have and so difficult manage.